A banana-based “ice” cream.
Bananas have been a staple in my smoothies, because of the nice creaminess they lend to the texture. It always led me to think that bananas would make a great base/substitute for dairy in ice cream.
Turns out, I wasn’t the only one who thought that way. There’s a whole movement of “nice” cream, which the folks at Forks Over Knives, describe as “The term “nice cream” was originally coined to describe the soft serve–like confection made by blending chunks of frozen bananas, and the dense, sweet fruits remain the best for obtaining a custard-like consistency.”
And shit, they sure do. If you happen to be dairy-free, or follow a vegan diet, then banana-based ice cream is a 10/10 perfect replacement over traditional ice cream. In fact, I even prefer it over regular ice cream.
Call me a banana believer. After discovering the whole nice cream movement, I’ve decided to dedicate a few posts to some of my favorite flavors and toppings. First up, the Banana Nutella Nice Cream (P.S. if you like this, then you’ll love the Chickpea Chocolate Chip Pancakes w/ Banana Nutella Sauce.
Time You Need
- 5 minutes prep
- ~30 minutes resting
- Yields: 2-3 servings
What You Need
- ~3 cups of frozen diced bananas
- 1 cup of vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ~1 1/2 tbsps. Nutella
- Optional: Chocolate chips, pecans, more Nutella, or any other desired mix-ins or toppings
What You Do
- In a blender or food processor, add frozen bananas, almond milk, vanilla extract, and Nutella. Blend until the ingredients form a smooth Purée, similar to soft serve ice cream.
- Scoop into a container or bowl and cover. Let rest in the freezer for about a half hour. Remove and serve with desired toppings. Enjoy!