Slow-cooked BBQ pork shoulder inside a pie.
com·fort food / noun: food that provides consolation or a feeling of well-being. Example: BBQ Pulled Pork Pot Pie.
In need of an extra pick me up? Some food that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside? Then look no further. This recipe features slow-cooked pork shoulder, shredded up, and stuffed with all the fixings inside a pie. That’s right. Each bite offers a full BBQ picnic spread of pulled pork, onions, cabbage, carrots, and sticky sweet BBQ sauce.
The best part is, there’s a lot of flexibility for flavor with this one. Feel free to pick out your favorite BBQ sauce and throw it in the mix for this one. Big fan of the brown sugar sweetness found in KC style BBQ? Or are you looking for a tangier kick found in Carolina style sauces? Looking to spice things up? Try the Boxcar Smoky Blackberry Ancho Chile Pepper BBQ sauce for something truly special.
Time You Need
- ~~20 minutes prep
- ~35 minutes Baking
- Yields: 6-8 servings
What You Need
- ~3 cups of premade BBQ pulled pork, in BBQ sauce of choice
- 1 package of store-bought pie crusts (with 2 crusts)
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 1 cup of shredded cabbage
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- ½ cup of BBQ sauce
- Extra BBQ sauce for dipping
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
What You Do
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Then add onion, garlic, carrots and cabbage. Sauté everything for about 8-10 minutes, until the veggies are nice and soft. Then, mix in the flour, remove from heat and set to side.
- In a large bowl, add BBQ pulled pork, and mix in the veggies, BBQ sauce, and seasonings to create your filling.
- In a 9 inch pie pan, grease with a stick of butter or cooking spray. Then prepare the pie crusts as directed on the container instructions, using one pie crust to coat the pie pan.
- Spoon the filling into the pie crust and work to spread evenly. Continue until full. Then top the with the second crust. Seal the edges together using a fork, and use a sharp knife to open small vents near the center.
- Before placing in oven, brush the top of the pie crust with olive oil and any additional seasoning.
- Then bake in the oven for 30-35minutes. During the last 20 minutes, cover the edges of the pie with foil to avoid burning the crust.
- Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with extra BBQ sauce and enjoy!