BBQ pulled pork, taco-style.
We’re combining the best of summer flavors into one. This recipe fuses the classic summer BBQ staple of pulled pork with the sunny season vibes of street tacos.
To keep it simple, the pork shoulder spends most of the day simmering in a slow cooker, along with the summery blend of pineapple and smoky chipotle. To top things off, the pulled pork taco recipe also calls for a Boxcar Original BBQ sauce – Mango Kiwi Habanero BBQ. The pineapple and pepper marinated pulled pork and sweet heat BBQ sauce are a match made in summer heaven.
Time You Need
- ~10 minutes prep
- ~6-8 hours cooking
- Yields: ~10 servings
What You Need
- ~4 pounds of bone-in or boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chile powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup of pineapple juice
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp of adobo sauce from canned chipotle
- Mango Kiwi Habanero Sauce or BBQ sauce of choice
- Favorite taco toppings: lettuce, diced red onions, cilantro, lime wedges (for zest), cheese
What You Do
- Pat the pork shoulder dry with a paper towel. Combine the seasonings and brown sugar together to form a rub and then evenly rub all over the pork.
- Place the pork in the slow cooker, fat side up, and cover with pineapple juice, lime juice, adobo, and minced garlic.
- Slow cook on low for ~10 hours, or on high for about 6-8 hours until the pork is tender enough to shred.
- Once time is up, remove the pork from the slow cooker and let cook, then shred using forks.
- Serve over warm tortillas with desired toppings and BBQ sauce. Enjoy with a big old margarita.