A jalapeno popper married to a mozzarella stick and honeymooned in a bed of Cheetos. Meet the spicy stick.
It’s a Frankenstein of appetizers. And it’s fairly simple to make. Simply slice and seed the jalapeno, shove a stick of cheese in there, dust it, give it an egg bath, and then roll it around in some crushed flaming hot Cheetos. Then bake to a gooey spicy goodness.
Time You Need:
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Resting: 1-2 hours
- Baking: 15 minutes
- Yields: 12 spicy sticks
What you Need:
- 12 mozzarella string cheese sticks, frozen
- 6 large jalapenos, seeded and halved
- ~½ bag (4-5 ounces) finely crushed flaming hot Cheetos or jalapeno Cheetos
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup of milk
- ~1 cup of flour
- ¼ tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- Marinara for dipping
What You do:
- Place string cheese in the freezer and freeze for around 1-2 hours
- Cut the tops off the jalapeno, halve them, remove seeds and rinse in cold water. Dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 370.
- Take a frozen string cheese and place in jalapeno half. Repeat for rest of the jalapeno.
- Create a dredging station, with one bowl of flour and seasonings, one bowl of milk and eggs, and one bowl of crushed Cheetos (Cheetos work best if you run them through a food processor or blender to get to a very fine powder).
- Starting one at a time, dip the jalapeno/string cheese in flour, then egg, then roll around the crushed Cheeto dust.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and repeat.
- Bake the spicy sticks for about ~15 minutes, until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Dip in your favorite marinara!