Are you ready for lots and lots of cabbage?
But seriously, cabbage is probably my favorite vegetable. And these ‘steaks’ are great. They meet all the standards of Boxcar cooking: Cheap, simple, fast.
I like to make mine with a simple garlic puree to coat them. They cook quick. And taste better than you could imagine. As for seasoning, use what you have. It’s hard to mess up. Especially if you love cabbage as much as I do. It can be a main dish or a nice companion to something else.
This only yielded four, but that’s because I made some earlier in the week. That’s a testament to how good they are! I even have a spare cabbage in the fridge as I’m writing this. I told you I love cabbage. A whole head of cabbage can probably net you 8 slices?
- 1 Head of cabbage
- olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves
- *Optional, but highly recommended.
- Garlc Puree:
- Add 5 tsbp of olive oil, the 8 garlic cloves, a tsp of garlic powder, and a splash of salt and pepper into a blender/magic bullet.
- Puree them altogether until its a smooth consistency
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees
- Line a pan with foil and oil
- Cut the stem or stalk of the cabbage off
- Slice the cabbage into about 1 inch thick pieces
- Dress the pieces with the garlic puree and a little splash of vinegar
- Bake for ~25 minutes, if you are adding cheese, add at the 20 minute mark, and bake for 5 more