Add a lively kick to your cornbread.
Wisconsin extra sharp cheddar and the appealing smoky flavor of chipotle peppers take your run-of-the-mill cornbread up a notch.
As far as recipes come, this is definitely on the easier side. Just gather and prep your ingredients, some bowls for mixing, and before you know it you’re enjoying the distinct spicy smokiness of chipotle peppers and cheesy, corny goodness. A dollop of hot honey makes for the perfect finish. Pair the cornbread with your favorite BBQ for a perfect summery spread.
Time You Need
- 10 minutes prep
- 35 minutes cooking
- ~9 servings
What You Need
- 1 cup AP flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup of grated extra sharp cheddar
- 3 tbsp chopped chipotle peppers
- ½ tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- ¾ cup of yellow cornmeal
What You Do
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk melted butter, eggs, brown sugar, buttermilk, and your cornmeal together.
- Then, add the flour mixture, cheddar cheese, chipotle peppers, and seasonings.
- Gently fold ingredients until combined.
- Pour into a 9×9 greased baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. When done, let the cornbread cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm with butter or hot honey!