A filling bowl of yum.
A new take on polenta, this recipe combines a creamy coconut curry sauce with the comforting cornmeal porridge. The polenta is slow cooked in a broth of coconut milk and flavorful curry powder, along with fresh grated ginger, onions, and garlic.
To make things even more filling, the recipe adds in complementary chickpeas and butternut squash. Perhaps the best part is that this Coconut Curry Polenta recipe is pretty much a one pot dish that takes just under an hour to throw together, making it ideal for a quick weeknight dinner.
Time You Need
- ~20 minutes prep
- ~30 minutes cooking
- Yields: 4-5 servings
What You Need
- 3 cups of water
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp freshly ginger, finely grated
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 14 oz low fat /lite coconut milk
- 2½ cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of tomato paste
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained and dried
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper
- 2 cups of baby spinach, washed
- 3 cups of butternut squash, cubed
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
What You Do
- In a large stockpot or sauté pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat over medium heat. Then add in onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Then toss in garlic and ginger and cook for another three minutes.
- Then add in the chicken broth and water, along with your spices. Bring to a boil. Then add in coconut milk and tomato paste and mix well. Add in chickpeas and squash, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next, gradually whisk in cornmeal, working about a ½ cup at a time. Once done, add in chopped spinach.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook while stirring often.
- Cook for another 15-20 minutes, or until cornmeal begins to slightly thicken and is tender.
- If the polenta is too thick, add in more broth or water, working in small amounts at a time.
- Remove from heat. Taste and season to your liking, then serve and enjoy!