A simple and sweet figgy treat.
Ah the galette. Essentially a fancy name for a pie without any of the fuss, it features a pastry dough wrapped around fresh fruit and baked to rich, indulgent deliciousness.
In this recipe, the fresh fruit featured are sweet, decadent figs, layered in a bed of fig preserves, honey, and candied pecans.
Serve warm from the oven and topped with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream for the perfect dessert to welcome in the autumn season.
Time You Need
- 15 minutes prep
- ~40-50 minutes baking
- Yields: 5-6 servings
- 1 Homemade or store-bought pie crust (for 9-10 inch pie)
- ~1.5 pounds of Turkish brown or mission figs, quartered and tips cut off
- 1/4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup of whipped cream cheese
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup of fig preserves or jam
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp apple pie spice
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Candied pecans:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup of pecans
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- *Optional: Vanilla Ice cream or whipped cream for serving
- For the pecans:
- Add nuts, sugar, and butter to a large nonstick skillet. Heat over medium heat, stirring the nuts constantly until sugar and butter melt, coating the nuts. Turn the heat down as needed, and cook for about 5-7 more minutes.
- Transfer to parchment paper and separate and let cool.
- For the galette:
- Start by heating up the oven to 375.
- Roll the pie dough out into a nice big flat circle, with even thickness. Place the dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- In a bowl, mix cream cheese with fig jam.
- Spread the fig jam/cream cheese mixture evenly on the rolled-out dough, making sure to leave about a 2-inch border around the edges of the dough.
- Then arrange your figs over the jam spread. Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, and apple pie spice. Then drizzle with honey.
- Top with the candied pecans.
- Next, fold the border edges over to form a makeshift crust, leaving a giant hole in the center. Pleat the crust as you work around the dough.
- Coat the edges in the egg wash.
- Bake the galette for about 50 minutes, until the crust is a nice golden brown and the filling bubbles up.
- Remove from oven and let cool about 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings.