A soupy take on Cabbage Steaks.
Here’s an alternate recipe for the garlic & olive oil cabbage steaks that uses onion soup seasoning and swiss cheese to recreate the flavors of French onion soup on a sliced head of cabbage.
What exactly is a cabbage steak, you ask? These thick cuts of sliced cabbage are oven-roasted and make for the perfect weekday dinner or a complimentary side dish. And if you aren’t that big on cabbage, it’s probably just because you haven’t had it cooked right. Traditional methods of boiled cabbage can leave you with a bit of a boring dish, bitter flavors, and that unappetizing sulfurous smell. However, roasting the cabbage, in my opinion, brings out the best of cabbage, turning the cabbage into a melt-in-your-mouth texture with delicious caramelized flavor, which is only enhanced by the onion and beefy flavors this recipe calls for.
TIME YOU’LL NEED
- ~10 minutes prep
- ~45 minutes cooking
- Yields: 5-6 cabbage steaks
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 1 large medium sized cabbage
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 beef broth
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ~1 packet of onion soup seasoning
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- Black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- ~2 cups of shredded swiss cheese
What You Do
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil and grease with cooking spray or oil.
- Wash cabbage thoroughly. Then cut the thick part of the stem from the bottom of the cabbage off and discard.
- Lay the flat part of the cabbage down on a cutting board and slice the cabbage into about 1-inch thick pieces.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix olive oil, broth, vinegar, soup seasoning, onion powder, salt and black pepper together. Then brush the tops of each cabbage generously with the mix.
- Bake in the oven for about40-45 minutes, until the edges of cabbage begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven and broil on medium/low heat until the cheese turns a slight golden brown/.
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving.