I took my favorite soup and turned it into a sandwich.
This cold weather demands creativity. With the negative 40
Time You Need
- ~30 minutes
- Serves: 2
What You Need
- 1 yellow onion cut into thin slices
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 slices of swiss cheese
- 4 slices of Gruyère cheese
- ~1 tbsp butter (more if you butter the sides of bread)
- 2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp onion powder
What You Do
- Place a large skillet on stove-top over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of butter and melt, then add sliced onions. Let the onions sit covered, and cook for about 10 minutes so until they begin to brown.
- Add ¼ cup of beef broth and 1 tablespoon of onion powder, mixing in with the onions. Cook for about another five minutes.
- Remove onions from skillet and set to the side.
- Take two slices of bread (optional: butter one side of each slice for grilling) and top each with 2 slices of swiss and 2 slices of Gruyère, then add about half the onions and close to form a sandwich. Repeat steps for the second sandwich.
- Using the same skillet the onions were cooked in, place one grilled cheese. Cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side, until
a nicebrown crust forms.
- While the grilled cheese is cooking, take a small pot and add remaining beef broth. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and onion powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Stir in water and flour to form a basic gravy. Remove from heat and serve as a dipping sauce for the grilled cheese.