Pizza is perfect on its own. But sometimes it’s fun to experiment a little.
I do that with pizza a lot, actually.
And so this French onion pizza should come as no surprise. While the only real thing it has in common with real pizza is the crust, it does taste remarkably like French onion soup. Which, in my opinion, makes it the perfect fall/winter comfort food.
Imagine dunking this in a bowl on French onion soup. So much comfort, yet so much onion, all in one bite.
Time You Need
- ~ 30-minute prep
- ~40 minutes for onions
- ~20 minutes cooking pizza
What You Need
- ~7 sweet onions, halved and sliced into thick (¼ inch) slices
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 pound pizza dough, store-bought or homemade (if using store bought dough, let it sit out for ~30 minutes to get to room temp)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus more for greasing skillet
- 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasonings
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 cup of swiss cheese, shredded
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp Flour
What You Do
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place a large skillet on stove-top over medium heat. Add butter and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Let butter melt then add onions and garlic. Toss around in fats then let sit covered for about 15 minutes, while returning to stir occasionally.
- After about 15 minutes, add sugar and 1 tbsp onion powder and Italian seasonings. Stir in and cover, while stirring occasionally. Keep onions browning for about 15 more minutes.
- After the time is up add vinegar and ¼ cup of beef broth and 2 tbsp of flour. Mix everything together and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix about 1 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tbsp of onion powder, salt and black pepper to taste, and ¼ beef broth. Brush the mixture on top of pizza dough and bake pizza dough for ~10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Add a layer of cheese on top of the pizza crust. Then, draining any excess liquid, add a layer of onions. Repeat with the second layer of cheese. Season the top with any olive oil, salt, generous amounts of black pepper, and any remaining onion powder.
- On a greased baking sheet, bake pizza for about 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden brown. Serve and enjoy.