Honey mustard + chicken = a perfect pair.
These ground chicken burgers are perfect for summer, and while I baked mine, they’d also be ideal on a grill. The ground chicken is mixed with an explosion of seasonings, from lemon pepper, garlic, cumin, and chili powder, and then mixed with breadcrumbs and heaping spoonfuls of sweet & sharp honey mustard. Finally, it’s topped with heaty doses of even more honey mustard when you dress the burger.
For this recipe, you can choose any honey mustard you’d like. But I do recommend springing for the fancier stuff, as the flavor will really shine through. I opted for Schlotterbeck & Foss’s Honey Mustard, which was “made from spicy ground mustard seeds tempered with sweet clover honey, rich molasses, and a bit of apple cider vinegar.” (aka to die for).
If you do grill ’em, I’d recommend serving them along side some frozen summertime lemonades for an exceptional summer meal.
Time You Need
- 15 minutes prep
- ~25-30 minutes cooking
- Yields: About 6 patties
What You Need
- 1 ½ pounds of lean ground chicken
- 1/2 sweet onion, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 ½ cups of plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 egg, whisked
- ½ cup of shredded cheddar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp of honey mustard sauce of choice
- Salt, to taste
- For serving: Buns, additional desired burger toppings, extra honey mustard sauce
What You Do
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. And line a baking sheet or two with wax paper.
- In a small bowl, combine seasonings thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground chicken, onion, and garlic.
- Then mix in spices.
- Next, add panko crumbs, baking powder, egg, shredded cheddar, and honey mustard. Mix ingredients thoroughly, but handle gently.
- Divide mixture into equal portions and shape into patty discs.
- Then place on the wax paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all patties are made. Then place the baking sheet in the oven.
- Cook for 15 minutes, then remove and flip patties. Cook for another 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- It’s optional, but feel free to broil on high for 2-3 minutes on each side to achieve a nice crispy exterior.
- Serve on buns with extra honey mustard and any desired toppings.