Spice with every bite
If you love adding a little bit of heat to your meals, you’ll definitely want to try these pineapple habanero pickled onions. It’s a perfect combination of intense heat and fruity flavor. The tangy and slightly sweet pickling liquid, thanks to the pineapple juice, perfectly balances out the spiciness of the habaneros, creating a delicious and versatile condiment that pairs well with sandwiches, tacos, salads, and whatever else you’re brave enough to try these on.
Plus, making pickled onions at home is incredibly easy and a great way to use up leftover onions. So, let’s get started and learn how to make this fiery and flavorful condiment!
- Prep: ~10 minutes
- Cooking: ~30 minutes
- Yields: 2 cups
- 1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of pineapple juice
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1-2 tbsp of honey or agave
- 2 habanero peppers, diced and seeded
- Take a small saucepan and add in vinegar, pineapple juice, salt, and honey. Cook over medium-high heat until it reaches a slight simmer.
- Then remove from heat and add to a mason jar. Add in the red onions and habanero, screw the lid on and then shake to coat the onions and peppers. Let the onions marinate for 30 minutes before serving.