Drunk people rejoice!
I present to you the pinnacle of inebriated cuisine. It’s a mishmash frankenstein food that pairs a dive bar classic with the ultimate handheld combination ever of crunchy and soft, savory and fresh.
That’s right folks. We’re talking about the Jalapeno Popper Crunchwrap. A recipe that features double the decadence to satisfy and satiate beer-filled bellies around the world.
Unlike T-Bell’s traditional pièce de ré·sis·tance, we’re using seasoned shredded chicken and swapping out sour cream for cream cheese. Toss in an abundance of sliced jalapenos and a layer of Flaming Hot Doritos (instead of a tostada) for that extra crunch, and well, there it is. A culinary magnum opus.
Some quick notes before diving in: For jalapenos, you can choose either fresh or pre-sliced jarred. The fresh will offer a bit more heat and fresh bite, and probably a taste closer to classic jalapeno poppers. But using jarred is quicker, and would be better suited to people with lower heat tolerances. As for the chips, you can certainly use a regular tostada and the same result. I just opted for Flaming Hot Doritos for a little color and extra kick. Finally, if you are making the shredded chicken from scratch, I’d recommend seasoning with T-bell’s chicken taco seasoning for that special Crunchwrap connection.
Time You Need
- 15 minutes prep
- 35-40 minutes cooking
- Yields: 2 servings
What You Need
- 2 large burrito sized tortillas
- 2 smaller taco sized tortillas
- 1 cup of cream cheese
- 1 cup of chopped jalapeno (fresh or jarred, depending on heat preference)
- 1/2 cup of diced white onion
- ~1 ½ cups of shredded chicken
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar or Mexican Style Blend cheese
- ~1 cup of Doritos (or jalapeno flavored chips)
- ~1 cup of shredded iceberg lettuce
- Olive oil for cooking
What You Do
- Working one at a time, lay out one of the tortillas. Spread about 1/2 cup of cream cheese over the center. Then top with the shredded chicken (about ~½ to ¾ cup).
- Working in order, add a layer of ½ cup chopped jalapeno, ¼ cup diced onion, then ½ cup of shredded lettuce.
- Next, cover the fillings with a layer of chips and then top that with a spread out layer of shredded cheese, using ½ cup per crunchwrap. Then top the center with the smaller taco sized tortilla.
- Here comes the fun part. Folding this bad boy up. Take the edge of the tortilla and fold up toward the center of the fillings. Repeat around the edges — trying to keep things as tight as possible with ripping the tortilla. Continue until you circle around back to the beginning. Flip the tortilla so the seam is down and keeps everything in place (here’s a helpful video to show you how just in case). Repeat the above steps for the second crunchwrap.
- Next, in a medium, nonstick skillet, heat a small layer of olive oil of low heat. Working one at a time, add a crunchwrap and cook low and slow for about 8 minutes, or until the bottom begins to brown. Flip, and cook for another 8 minutes. Repeat for the rest of the crunchwraps until done.