Give your boring old egg salad a makeover.
Classic egg salad is an American summer staple of picnics and quick lunches. While delightful in its own way, it can get a little bland and boring. So we’re spicing things up with this recipe for Jalapeno Popper Egg Salad.
The best part? It’s still just as simple as classic egg salad, just with a few added ingredients. The diced jalapeno gives the salad both a nice crunch, along with a grassy freshness and heat. The cream cheese does some of the heavy lifting here instead of a more mayo-based egg salad and helps bring a tangy kick while keeping the heat of the jalapeno in check.
It’s a vibrant, fresh new take on an old classic. Serve it over toast for the perfect summer lunch.
Time You Need
- ~30 minutes
- ~5 minutes cooking
- ~2-3 servings
What You Need
- 8 large eggs, hardboiled and peeled, and chopped
- 1/4 cup of light mayo
- 1/3 cup of cream cheese
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup of chopped green onion
- 2 fresh jalapenos, stemmed, seeded, and finely diced
- Olive oil for sautéing
- Jalapeno or red pepper flakes for topping
What You Do
- In a small pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in diced jalapeno. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until lightly softened. Then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add the chopped eggs, and stir in mayo, cream cheese, mustard, green onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Season with paprika, cayenne, and salt to taste.
- Stir together and serve on a piece of toast topped with pepper flakes.