A NOLA-inspired hot dog.
A classic hot dog is one thing, but a muffuletta hot dog is just over-the-top indulgence. This recipe is pretty simple, you got your hot dog and bun, but the real fun starts with the olive salad – a blend of green and black olives, fresh basil, garlic, vinegar, and oil, along with roasted red peppers and hot giardiniera.
The hot dog is then toasted on a poppy seed bun with shredded mozzarella for the ultimate hot dog meets muffuletta experience.
And if the hot dog doesn’t satisfy your cravings – here are some other muffuletta inspired recipes to try:
Time You Need:
- ~5 minutes prep
- ~7 minutes for boiling hot dogs
- 10-12 minutes baking
- Yields: ~6 hot dogs
What You Need:
- 6 hot dogs
- Poppy Seed hot dog buns
- ~2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- For the olive salad:
- ½ cup black olives
- 1 cup green olives
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup pickled spicy giardiniera
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 leaves of fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp lemon juice
What You Do:
- Boil hot dogs according to package instructions.
- While cooking hot dogs, add all the ingredients for the olive salad to a blender or food processor. Process until ingredients are well-mixed but still chunky. It’s ok to have some larger chunks or even whole pieces of olive. The consistency should be like a really chunky vomit.
- Remove to a bowl and set to the side.
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Drain hot dogs and pat dry. Then place hot dogs in the buns. Top with 2-3 hearty spoonfuls of the olive salad.
- Then top with a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese. Place hot dogs on the baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted.
- Remove and let cool.