A rustic homemade pizza with a savory olive salad blend.
Notes: Thin crust just won’t support the number of toppings, so the thicker the better with this pizza. You’ll also want to prebake the dough to prevent sogginess when adding the olive salad/tomato blend.
Time You Need
- 20 Prep
- ~20 minutes cooking
- Yields: 1 Large pizza
What You Need
- ~1.5 pounds of pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Olive Salad Blend:
- 1/2 can of diced tomatoes
- ½ cup black olives
- 1 cup of green olives
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 cup pickled spicy giardiniera
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 leaves of fresh basil
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 log of fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 cup of Italian shredded cheese blend
- 6-8 ounces sliced spicy salami
- 4 ounces sliced capicola
- 4 ounces sliced mortadella or prosciutto
What You Do
- Preheat oven to 475.
- In a large skillet, cook the diced onion in oil over medium heat. Cook until onions are soft, about five minutes. Remove from skillet and set to the side.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pizza dough into a flat circle.
- Coat the top of the pizza with a tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of garlic paste, spreading evenly over the dough. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prebake the dough on a pizza stone or pan for 5 minutes then remove from oven and let cool.
- For the olive salad blend: combine all ingredients, plus cooked onions, in a large blender or food processor and puree until ingredients are well-blended and evenly mixed.
- Spread the olive salad blend over the evenly over the pizza.
- Reheat the oven to 475.
- Next top pizza with diced mozzarella and Italian cheese blend.
- Finally, add the sliced meats evenly over the pizza and top with another layer of the olive salad blend.
- Place pizza back in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted. For a slightly browned cheese, broil the pizza for 4-5 minutes over high. And then remove immediately and let cool before serving.