A smoky twist on a classic potato leek soup.
Here’s another winter warmer soup that builds off a traditional potato leek soup. Loaded with hearty amounts of potato, leeks, carrots, onions and flavorful spices, this recipe also adds a generous amount of smoked gouda to create a creamy, rich soup perfect for filling the stomach and soothing the soul.
Time You Need
- ~35 minutes prep
- ~1 hour 10 minutes cooking
- Yields: ~6 servings
What You Need
- 4 leeks, stems removed and properly cleaned
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 5-6 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of skim milk
- ~1 cup of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp clove powder
- 1 tbsp parsley (fresh or dried)
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups of fresh shredded smoked gouda
- Fresh chives or green onion* for topping
What You Do
- Start by rinsing prepared potatoes in a bath of water.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat and then begin cooking the chopped onion, garlic, carrots, and leeks.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, until the onions just begin to carmelize.
- Then rinse the potatoes, pat dry, and add to the pot, along with the chicken stock, parsley, clove, onion powder, and smoked paprika. Stir ingredients to combine.
- Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Then remove from heat, and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until a semi-fine mixture, leaving some larger potato chunks if desired for a chunkier soup.
- Then turn the heat back to s a simmer. Add 1 cup of water, and the heavy cream and milk. Stir to combine.
- Then finish the soup by slowly incorporating handfuls of shredded smoked gouda, adding 1 handful at a time, and whisking until melted. Repeat for the rest of the gouda.
- Let the soup simmer for about 10 more minutes, then remove from heat.
- Serve with fresh chives or green onions and a slice of warm bread. Enjoy!