A quick and simple sweet Valentine’s Day treat.
Looking for a fun way to shower the one you love with some sweet treats? Here’s a simple, few-step recipe for tart cherry heart-shaped pastries.
Using pie dough and a cookie cutter, you can stuff these pastries with a mixture of tangy cream cheese and tart Montmorency cherry filling. The two ingredients – like two people lovebirds – are a perfect match, evoking indulgent flavors of cherry cheesecake
Then hearts are then topped off with even more tart cherry flavor with a powdered sugar cherry glaze! You can also celebrate the love this season with some other Boxcar Valentine’s Day classics:
Time You Need
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Baking: 25 minutes
- Yields: ~6-7 Hearts
What You Need
- 1 cup thawed tart (Montmorency) cherries, or canned in water
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 14-ounce box refrigerated pie dough (2 sheets), thawed if frozen
- A heart shaped cookie cutter
- Tart cherry glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup frozen tart cherries, defrosted
- 1 tablespoon milk
What You Do
- Start by preheating the oven to 400.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the cream cheese, cherries, honey, and brown sugar. Using a fork to mix and mash the filling.
- Unroll the packaged pie crusts, and cut out as many hearts as you can, then set on some parchment paper to the side.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, a small spoonful of the cream cheese cherry filling in the very center of the heart, leaving room around the edges for sealing.
- Then, lightly dip fingers into a small cup of water, and gently brush the borders of the heart with water.
- Take another heart cutout and gently place over the filling of the first heart. Using a fork, gently press down the edges to seal. Use the fork or a small knife to poke tiny holes in the top of the heart.
- Place heart on a greased, parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat for the rest of the hearts.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until brown.
- While baking, let’s quickly throw together our icing. Using a strainer, place the defrosted cherries in and press down over a bowl to extract juices. Then, add in the milk and stir. Finally, working with a little at a time, whisk in powdered sugar to form the icing.
- Once the hearts our done baking, spread a thin layer over the hearts and serve!