The messiest pizza is the best pizza.
Here’s an all-out homage to the greasy goodness of Italian-American-style food. This pizza, aptly named the Big Fella, features a concordant collection of toppings that include spicy Italian sausage, indulgent pancetta, fiery Arrabiata sauce, and for the pis de resistance, a generous helping of hot Chicago-style Giardiniera.
It’s gluttony embodied. Just make sure you have some extra napkins on hand cause this big fella is messy.
- Prep: ~10 minutes
- Cooking:~ 15 minutes
- Yields: 2-3 servings
- ~ 1 pound of pizza dough
- ~1 cup of Chicago-style spicy Giardiniera
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of Arrabiata tomato sauce
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of shredded pepper jack
- ~ 1 cup of pancetta
- ~1 pound of spicy Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup of sliced banana peppers
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- Roll your pizza dough out as flat as you can get it—the thinner the better for a thin-crust style pizza.
- While preheating the oven, brown the pancetta and Italian sausage in a large skillet with some olive oil, over medium heat.
- In a bowl, mix together your ricotta cheese and tomato sauce. Spread evenly over the dough.
- Top the pizza with the shredded cheese, then the giardiniera and banana peppers.
- Finally, add the Italian sausage and pancetta. Sprinkle with red peppers for an extra kick, then place the pizza dough on a pizza stone or pan, and bake for about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before slicing. Serve and enjoy!