A smorgasbord of fall flavor.
Meet the Ultimate Fall Flavors Pot Pie. This savory pastry is a smash-up of several concepts that incorporate the great aromatic and flavorful spices and seasonings of the autumn season.
The idea behind this recipe all began when I was out at Madison Sour Dough for lunch, eating an amazing sweet potato curry that sparked the inspiration. But, as you can see the idea evolved from a veggie curry into a full-blown pot pie concept.
The Ultimate Fall Flavors Pot Pie still carries its curry inspiration, but swaps in butternut squash instead of sweet potato. There’s also the addition of chickpeas for heartiness, and a treasure trove of fall flavor that includes curry powder, cinnamon, brown sugar, smoked paprika, nutmeg, chili powder, and thyme.
Think of it as a sort of savory pumpkin pot pie. A hearty, healthy, and warm meal that welcomes the spirit of fall. Pair with some curry parsnip fries for the perfect fall meal.
Time You Need
- Prep: ~40 minutes
- Baking: ~40 minutes
- Yields: 6 servings
What You Need
- 2 carrots, washed and chopped
- ½ diced yellow onion
- 2 cups of butternut squash, cubed
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and dried
- 2 parsnips, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp of curry powder
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of ap flour or chickpea flour
- ½ cup of half and half
- 1 package of pie crust (2 count)
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
What You Do
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in the carrots, onion, and parsnips. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Then add in garlic and butternut squash. Cook for another 10 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Next, season with cinnamon, curry powder, thyme, brown sugar, paprika, nutmeg, chili powder, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Then stir in the chickpea flour.
- Mix together and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. Then pour in the vegetable broth and half and half and bring to a simmer. Let sit at the simmer until the mixture thickens, about 10 more minutes.
- Finally, add in the chickpeas and mix together. Remove the skillet from the heat and set to the side.
- Preheat the oven to 425. Using a 9 inch glass pie pan, prepare the pie crusts as directed on the container instructions, using one pie crust to coat the pie pan.
- Carefully spoon the veggie mixture into the crust-lined pan. Continue until the pie pan is full, then top the with the second crust. Seal the edges together using a fork, and use a sharp knife to open small vents near the center.
- Before placing in oven, brush the top of the pie crust with the melted butter and add any additional seasoning.
- Then bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes. During the last 20 minutes, cover the edges of the pie with foil to avoid burning the crust.
- Remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.