It’s a meal in itself but would also make a great side dish for a backyard bbq.
When I made my original three bean salad I was talking about meal prep for the week. I was looking for a cheap, easy Sunday night meal to make that I could take to work and eat for lunch all week. Well, the original three bean salad nailed all that. But a new problem has arisen. Now I was worried about monotony. Wouldn’t eating the same exact bowl of beans for weeks on end get boring? Of course it would.
So like Bear Grylls, I improvised, adapted, and overcame. My original three bean salad evolved into the BBQ bean salad. What I love about the recipe is that the base ingredients stay the same more or less, but there’s a lot of room for customization because you can switch up the BBQ sauce each week. You can go sweet, smoky, spicy, Texas-style, Memphis-style, Kansas City-Style, or even Carolina-style. It’s whatever the stomach wants.
Time You Need
- 15 minutes
What You Need
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained & dried
- 1 can of red kidney beans, drained & dried
- 1 can of great northern beans, drained & dried
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 sweet white onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ cups of BBQ sauce of choice
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp black pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp garlic powder
What You Do
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the beans.
- Then add onion, garlic, olive oil, and seasonings.
- Then pour in BBQ sauce and mix everything evenly.
- Place in a large air-tight container, and enjoy all week long.